Monday, November 17, 2008

There's Something About a Wine Cellar

It started when I was young. My grandfather would take me down to his wine cellar and let me explore. I loved the musty smell, the dust-covered bottles and how happy he always was in his cellar. I was fascinated by the big bottles; he had a 5-liter of something that was as tall as I was! His cellar mostly contained French wines, as was probably the case for most collectors of his day. Burgundy was his favorite. I can't tell you specifically what was in his cellar, but we wine geeks of today would definitely drool. I've often said that I probably drank some of the most amazing wines of my life before I turned 18!
Today, I have a much smaller cellar, but I love being in it all the same. It takes some effort to get there; two people have to lift the floor boards in my office to gain access. That makes it all the more special. Last week, we went down to pull up some wines for the holiday season. I sat on the dirt floor and pondered...how many people will we have for Thanksgiving? Christmas? What am I thinking about serving? Will we do any other entertaining during the holiday season? How many parties will we be invited to? Having answers to none of these questions, I began grabbing. A double magnum of Raymond Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1997; it was highly rated on release. A 2004 Pax Alder Springs Vineyard Syrah, Mendocino County, made whan Pax was still the winemaker. A 2003 Imagery Sunny Slope Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley. A 1994 & 1995 vertical of Grgich Hills Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (pre-colored labels!) I'm looking forward to trying these cellar gems and sharing my impressions with you. Now, about the menu.....

No comments: